A Quiet Summer of Chores?

Thursday 28 June 2012

Diary entry by Wynniekins Cutthroat, level 75 Burglar, Gilrain


Dear Diary,

How could you?! I turn my back on you for...okay, it was quite some time, but still... And what do you do? You run off with the crazy minstrel! Her of all people! I had a massive go at her and in the end we sort of agreed to disagree. She thinks I abandoned you and said if she sees you lying about, she would keep you company. Eventually though, she promised she would only ever 'borrow' you at festival times when I'm 'otherwise engaged', but still...

And then Wynnie was too lazy to write anything because of something called 'football'...what is that anyway? Once again, dear Diary, I am forced to come to but one conclusion...I'm surrounded by idiots! Well, not completely surrounded, there are some really nice peeps out there too, but you get my meaning...

Anyway, let me tell you about going home to the Shire and the festivities there. I don't think I've seen so much food and drink anywhere else in Middle-earth. Hobbits are the best! However, after visiting Moria I have to admit...grudgingly I might add...that dwarves are a close second when it comes to foodstuffs. But we're still the best, so hah!

I ate and drank and sang, and even went riding a bit, but when I saw little Miss Perfect's (also known as Ithilwen, Diary Thief) new horse I knew it wasn't for me. A Rohan theme? No thank you! But it seems I can't avoid Rohan despite my efforts to have a quiet and comfortable summer.

I received a letter summoning me to Combe. As it's a little village just north of Staddle and I just happened to be there anyway to visit some friends (who've left the Shire years ago to live in the more adventurous world of the Big Folk), I went there. What's the worst that could happen in Bree-land, eh? I think I must have been suffering from amnesia or something like that... Clearly I didn't think of Black Riders and Rangers turning into wraiths.



But 'luckily' it wasn't Nazgûl that were waiting for me in Combe. It was a wandering horse. And as it turned out, the stable hand in Combe was unable to take care of a horse...because he's a wuss! You probably can tell where this is going, dear Diary. Who was asked to do chores again? Me! I had to go find straw, I had to see to the new horseshoes. Me!



And now I'm sitting around at Hengstacer Farm looking after even more horses! What happened to my quiet summer?! At least Emma Rosethorn is a good cook... Positive thinking, Diary...

Ithil visits me at times, as does Wyn. They, too, have been asked to help with the chores, so at least I'm not alone. And yesterday Varnie popped up all giddy because she finally reached some sort of level cap of 65. She wasn't all that happy anymore after I pointed out that I was 75, even though I still don't know what that means. And after I said that soon we'd be able to be 85 she looked quite suicidal...oh well.

So off she went to Dunland, with a quick detour to Harndirion to pick up some armour, and if I don't hear from her again, I'll just assume that she go herself killed. Or that she's gonna sit around moping for years again.



Oh, Emma just called me to lunch so I better run. And Diary...don't you go wandering off to Minstrels again!


Wynniekins Cutthroat, signing off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment